This time of year, the world seems saturated with gifts. Commercials on TV, articles in magazines, radio advertisements – even here! It seems like no matter where you look, all you can find is talk of presents, sales and what we need to buy RIGHT NOW to show our friends and family how much we care about them. Kind of takes the joy out of gift giving, doesn’t it?
Luckily, there are many ways to show your family and friends how much you care that don’t involve spending a lot of money or standing in long lines of cranky shoppers. Here are just a few ways to show people you are thinking of them this holiday season.
- Make a personalized gratitude jar. Use a small jar or other decorative container and fill it with small slips of paper. On each piece of paper, write a different reason you are grateful for them. Be sure to include some blank slips so they can add more to the container with their own moments of gratitude. When they need a pick me up, all they have to do is go to the jar and pull out some love from you!
- Make a small, but thoughtful, donation to a charity or cause you think will resonate with the gift recipient.
- Write a letter or a card. When is the last time you received an authentic letter or card from someone you love? It doesn’t happen too often these days, and at the end of the day, people just want to know that they are loved and appreciated. Take the time to write out your thoughts and appreciation, and you will make someone’s day far more than with a $2,000 television. If you have the urge to make it fancy, put it in a fun frame or throw some confetti and sequins in the envelope.
- Give the gift of TIME! Bust out your sharpies and create a coupon for a favorite activity to enjoy together – be it a walk in the park, baking, or even a coffee date. Your loved one will get to spend time with you AND enjoy a favorite pastime.
- Get in the kitchen and start cooking! If you know a friend is learning to navigate a gluten-free diet, cook up some gluten-free snacks ready to enjoy. Is a parent trying to reduce sugar during the holiday season? Bake up some tasty treats sweetened naturally with dates or maple syrup (check out this month’s spice cake!). The Cinnamon-Cacao Almond Butter and Glorious Gluten Free Granola wrap up easily and make delicious AND nutritious gifts.
Human beings want to love and be loved. No matter how you express your care this holiday season, if it comes from the heart you can’t go wrong. Do you have a favorite authentic gift to give?