This thick and creamy soup is the perfect stick-to- your-ribs meal for a chilly, winter night – filling you up with goodness without weighing you down with flour and cream. Anti-inflammatory ginger warms you up from the inside out, aids in digestion and helps keep your joints feeling fabulous in the cold weather.
Quinoa may look tiny and insubstantial, but actually the mighty seed is a plant-based complete protein, keeping you full and energized for hours. I recommend serving the soup with a side of almond flour crackers or roasted tempeh strips!
Gluten-free, Vegan, Soy-Free
Use organic whenever possible
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- ½ pound parsnips, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1−1.5 inch fresh ginger, peeled and sliced*
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 4–5 cups vegetable broth*
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- Sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425℉
- In a large bowl, combine carrots, parsnips, ginger and coconut oil
- Spread mixture out onto 2 large pans lined with parchment paper and sprinkle with sea salt
- Roast for 40 minutes, stirring halfway through
- While vegetables are roasting, bring water to a boil in a large pot
- Once boiling, stir in quinoa and turn heat down to low
- Cover pot and simmer until all liquid is absorbed, about 15–20 minutes
- Remove quinoa from heat, fluff with a fork and put aside to cool slightly
- Once roasted, remove vegetables from the oven and place in a stock pot with 4–5 cups broth (4 for a very thick soup)
- Use an immersion blender to combine broth and vegetables until smooth (alternatively, place in a blender with the cap removed and a cloth covering the hole, to allow steam to escape).
- For a chunky soup, stir in all of the quinoa unblended, and for a smooth soup, blend in all of the quinoa. I recommend blending 75% of the quinoa until smooth, and leaving 25% unblended for texture
- Heat on low for 5–10 minutes if needed, serve and enjoy!
You can sub powdered ginger for the fresh slices, but roasting the slices really brings out the flavor (and makes your kitchen smell amazing, to boot!). If you aren’t serving the entire pot the night you make the soup, you may need to add more liquid when reheating as the quinoa will soak up a lot overnight.