These cookies are inspired by a desire to combine my parents’ favorite holiday cookies – a soft-baked molasses cookie for my dad, and a sea salt dark chocolate thumbprint for my mom. Chewy on the outside and full of chocolatey goodness on the inside, these cookies are sure to delight your holiday tastebuds, without weighing you down with refined sugar and flour.
Free from Gluten, Grains, Dairy, Soy, and Peanuts
- 1 egg and 1 egg yolk
- ⅔ cup smooth almond butter
- 2 Tbsp. + 1 tsp., separated, organic coconut oil
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- ¼ tsp. allspice
- 2 pinches, separated sea salt
- ½ cup Enjoy Life dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 ℉ and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silpats
- In a stand mixer (or large bowl with an electric mixer) combine the egg, egg yolk, almond butter and 2 Tbsp. coconut oil.
- Add the molasses, coconut sugar and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the coconut flour, baking soda, 1 pinch salt, cinnamon, ginger and allspice.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients until fully combined and sticky.
- Chill dough in the refrigerator for 15–20 minutes to thicken.
- Use a rounded spoon to scoop the dough into ping-pong ball size mounds, then gently press your thumb into the center and slightly flatten the sides so there is a well in the middle of the cookie.
- Bake for 8–10 minutes until tops crack (do NOT overbake). Immediately after removing the cookie sheets from the oven, reinforce the well in the center of the cookies (a spoon works well) and move to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- When cookies are completely cool, melt the dark chocolate with 1 tsp. coconut oil on a very low setting on the stove, stirring constantly. When all lumps are smoothed out and the chocolate is shiny, remove from heat and carefully spoon into the wells of the cooled cookies.
- After chocolate has cooled slightly, sprinkle the remaining pinch of sea salt over the cookies and allow to cool completely (a trip to the fridge can help speed up this process!)
- Enjoy! Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for 1 week or the freezer for 2–3 months