Does this scenario sound familiar? You work extra hard at the gym, get a good grade on your test, or survive a tough conversation with your boss, and you gleefully decide that you have “earned” a tasty reward and head right to the cupcake truck? Not only does it likely sound familiar, but you’d be hard-pressed to find someone who can’t relate to this concept at all. Don’t get me wrong — I am ALL for celebrating every aspect of our lives, and while I am a big fan of fabulously fun, delicious, and even indulgent meals, doesn’t this whole idea seem counter-intuitive? How did food become the best, easiest, and sometimes only way we reward ourselves? Where did the whole system start that something tough in life required something less-than-nourishing? Life is full of milestones and accomplishments to celebrate, both health-related and not, so can you give yourself some kudos without gorging yourself on Twinkies and donuts?
Here are just a few thoughts and ideas to get you started, and please leave a comment on this post here or head over to our Instagram page to share some of YOUR favorites!
- Take yourself to a movie, any movie YOU want to watch. This could even be a TV show, a play or a concert. Go do something relaxing and fun where all you have to do is show up, sit down (or stand up and dance) and be entertained, no thinking required. Yes, this can get expensive, so save up ahead of time if cost is an issue. And yes, you can include friends if you want to… but only if that experience will leave your bucket full, not drain you of your precious reboot time. If your partner and/or kids have no interest in going with you? Well, then I hope they can find a way to entertain themselves while you are gone! Pick something fun that is all for you, you and only you!
- Can you say Spaaaaaaaahhh! Nothing feels better on those newly developed gym muscles than a nice, relaxing massage. Very little will make your skin glow like a nourishing diet, but combine it with a facial and you just may have a new profile picture that requires sunglasses to view! Put any spare change in a jar every time you work toward your goals, and little by little you will have enough to enjoy a cell-phone-free zone, complete with comfy robe and cucumber water, on the house.
- Buy a new outfit! Bonus points if you took time to clean your closet of all the clothes that are no longer the right size, you Rockstar you! Buy something that you love, that truly flatters you and that makes you happy to be wearing it.
- Take a nap. Don’t like naps? Sit and read a book or a magazine — in the comfort of your own home, or if you need some space, find the nearest coffee shop or bookstore with extra cushy recliners and snuggle right in. Take some time to just recharge and energize yourself. You deserve it.
- It may not seem like much, but I think there is something pretty magical about settling into a clean set of sheets and towels after a long day. Take a nice, luxurious bath and head to bed earlier than usual …ahhhhhh, bliss.
I am proud of you for celebrating your successes large and small! How will you celebrate your next exciting achievement?