Despite our best intentions, sometimes it is just downright impossible to be home every time your body needs some nourishment. With the season of travel and adventure upon us, having an arsenal of go-to healthy snacks on hand can keep your body stable and happy as you head out the door.
Always aim to pair your carbohydrates with a fat and/or protein to keep your blood sugar levels stable and keep your body satisfied so you can rock and roll through your summer adventure. Spread almond butter on a brown rice tortilla, dip some celery sticks in hummus, or make your own healthy trail mix with nuts, seeds, and no-sugar-added dried fruit.
Packing a cooler?
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Fresh cut veggies
- Fresh cut fruit
- Organic, nitrate/nitrite-free lunch meat roll-ups (Applegate Farms is a great brand)
- Hummus (individual containers make for an easy grab and go option)
- Plain yogurt topped with fruit
Need something that won’t melt or spoil in the summer heat?
- Raw mixed nuts and seeds (Aim for about ¼ cup as a serving)
- Rx Bars, Juice Plus bars
- Dried, no-sugar-added fruit (mango slices are great for hiking)
- Nut butter
- Shelf-stable fruit — apples, oranges, bananas, etc.
- Whole grain pretzel sticks or crackers (dip in nut butter for a balanced snack!)
- Brown-rice tortilla with nut butter or coconut butter
- Plantain chips
- Hemp Bites
Grab a cooler, load up your backpack, and enjoy!