Let’s be honest… most things taste even better when smothered with cheese. However, when you eliminate dairy from your life, whether by choice or by food allergies, it’s pretty difficult to find an alternative for cheesy, creamy goodness. This cheese sauce is super versatile and works great as a veggie topper, pasta sauce, sandwich spread, or a good ol’ fashioned nacho sauce for tortilla chips. We prefer it warm in the Hatch Health and Happiness household, but with a stir it is delicious cold, too. Add a jar of your favorite salsa to make a quick and easy queso dip!
Based on Erin’s Vegan Cheese Sauce from Revolution Recipes
Gluten-free, Vegan, Soy-Free
Use organic whenever possible
- 2 ¾ cups water, divided
- ⅓ cup raw cashews
- ⅓ cup sliced raw carrots (⅜
cup shredded carrots)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 Tbsp. ground turmeric
- 1 Tbsp. tahini
- ¼ cup olive or avocado oil
- 3 Tbsp. tapioca starch
- Place 1 cup water and the next 7 ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend until very smooth.
- Add oil and blend well.
- Add tapioca starch and blend until well mixed.
- Pour into medium sauce pan.
- Rinse blender with remaining 1 ¾ cups water and add to sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and bubbly.
- Serve warm or pour into mason jars or bowls to chill in the refrigerator (let it cool on the counter before chilling).