Adapted from Linda Wagner’s “Healthy Quinoa”
Free from gluten, dairy, soy, nuts and refined sugar
Packed with green goodness, this salad comes together quickly and feeds a crowd! Rich in chlorophyll, green vegetables help our bodies with detoxification while also packing a heavy punch of vitamins and minerals to build strong bones, lower cholesterol, support eye health, and prevent cancer. As if that wasn’t enough, green vegetables provide energy to keep our bodies and minds firing on all cylinders all day long.
(Makes 4–6 servings)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 leek, sliced thinly
- 1–2 broccoli stalks with florets, roughly chopped
- 1 zucchini, halved and sliced into disks
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 stalks of kale, chopped into small strips
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 1 Tbs. organic butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Spices of choice (red pepper flakes, adobo seasoning, etc.)
- 1 lemon, optional
1. In a large pot or saucepan bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add 1 cup rinsed quinoa, turn the heat down to a simmer, and cover with a lid. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove quinoa from heat and allow to sit 5 minutes with the lid on before fluffing the quinoa gently with a fork.
2. In a skillet, melt the butter/ghee/coconut oil. Sauté garlic and green onions. Add the sliced leeks, a few dashes of sea salt, and cook until leeks are soft. Add the sliced zucchini, broccoli, kale, green pepper, and a little water if needed.
3. Cover and cook until veggies are slightly soft, then add spinach and frozen peas. Toss with the cooked vegetables for about 30 seconds. Add all of the vegetables to the quinoa and season to taste.
4. Enjoy as is, or with a sprinkle of fresh lemon juice